Thursday, April 11, 2013

limnology

After a long period (week or more) of noodling and fretting about the solo series, I managed to get back to work last night. I have a 14x20 committed for showing at the MQ conference in Duluth mid-June, a light-hearted bit of nature-inspired work.
At first I thought it might be titled "Missing the Sea," in honor of a friend's recent trip to Florida (and my consequent envy.) But as I look at the colors and see images therein, I feel there's more of a pond thing happening -- looking at the top end of the piece at least (since you can't see the bottom in my shot, which is deeper and more blue-green and murky.



It's as if you're laying in a shallow, reedy pool on a sunny day, looking up from beneath the surface. Light filters down between rafts of pond-weed and grasses, dead leaves and tiny fish. (Invisible rotifers and amoeba.) Limnology... the study of inland waters. We'll see... 


No comments: