Thursday, April 25, 2013

fretting

I can't begin to run down all the mostly-trivial reasons I'm getting little work done in the studio, since the group show went up in March. While I can claim a lot of mental progress on my solo show, imagining the completion of multiple works more or less simultaneously, seeing the shape of the show coming together -- most of the work done is still of the materials-and-image-gathering variety. I did add some paint and ink and stitches to my Hail Mary piece last night, because pink and purple are such fun colors. But "Limnology" is still hovering, "waiting on" -- and I'm afraid I might spend too much time with materials, Spoonflower and suchlike, ostensibly for the solo show, and not leave myself enough time for production. And I'm afraid this whole-show conceptual approach will rob the work of its depth, for me -- because I like to spend a year on a piece, letting it grow slowly and evolve, no pressure. And I worry about the content, the personal nature of it, worry it's too obscure or too revealing. Sigh. Maybe if spring would come... everything would fall together. We're stuck in March. Four extra weeks of March.

I can work it out. Find the space to make the work, somewhere. Find the time, uninterrupted, somehow...

No comments: