Monday, November 4, 2013

maple series

Another weekend of purple fingers and surprise packages. 

When I unroll the damp cloths after they've set the scent of leafmold and tannin reminds me strongly of childhood; specifically those days (hundreds) spent poking around wooded vacant lots, or playing in the wildlife reserve near an uncle's house. Nothing pleased me more as a young girl than to be alone, exploring the landscape, overlaying it with an imaginary narrative of my own. Fairies and monsters, sure, as a young girl; later I began to the see the natural world as fascinating in its own right. 


Maple leaves on vintage cotton pillowcase. 
Purple is a fermented tanin sprayed on before I placed the leaves. 


I sewed and sewed this weekend. Completed a small piece. Considered a series: "Cure for Pain" 
Credit to Morphine



No comments: