Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Autumn has come, and with it a whole host of new elements to gather and "pickle" to see what I can see. Pictures coming soon...I have two types of willow (bark and leaves) stewing (in a slow, cold-process sort of way), too see if they really do produce a vinegar-like acidity that would be useful as a dye enhancer...Some pretty red Maple and Dogwood leaves together that are gradually tinting their water a delicate orangish-pink...The skins of tomatillos in vinegar and water, which are a beautiful bright green, may or may not produce a worthy dye...plus there's Birch bark (gathered on the ground), some black walnut/red onion peel combined, and maybe one or two other jars a-brewing. India Flint says the longer you wait, the better the results, and I'm learning to take her advice there seriously as I watch my natural dyed cloths progress from pale and delicate shades to more robust patterns and marks. The lime/blueberry mixture smelled AWFUL when I poured it out, but man, did those swatches look cool... Like I said, more photos soon!

No comments: