Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A little bit of what I'm up to

I have a ton of fabric pieces in cotton and silk that I want to show off, rust-dyed and botanical, but first it's time to play catch-up. I'm experimenting a lot with new organics -- elm and maple leaves, willow, birch bark, hibiscus tea bags, even tomatillo hulls...But the blackberry/blueberry experiment, with and without lime (didn't have the alum yet) turned out some very fugitive colors. You can see in the second photo where a turquoise-looking stick is resting -- well, that faded out to a greyish tone in just 24 hours. Not that I have a problem with grey.


I've finally added powdered lime and alum to my arsenal, as well as some alkanet. I have busily built a small library of flosses and threads to match some of the hand-dyed fabrics in the current work-in-progress. 


This odd little bundle, the preview of lovely rusted patterns to come...Give me another day to take good shots of the results.


Autumn in Minnesota is so full of wonderful forms. 

No comments: