Sunday, January 17, 2010

aprons, underwear, layers

Earlier today I was reading my Nov/Dec issue of Selvedge, a second copy (new subscription, bought the first copy from Barnes & Noble.) And I was reading about Iwa i Walla, a Swedish purveyor of clothing in a very romantic, linen-y, layer-y vein. In the photos that accompany the article, I noticed that underneath all those scrumptious crinkled and worn-looking layers, there are undergarments so practical and yet romantic that they totally steal my focus -- three-quarter sleeved undershirts with an itty bitty lace trim, crinkled pantalons that reach half way down the calf and peep from under crinoline-like skirts, etc. I WANT real underwear! Especially in the winter -- I want layers of soft stuff between me and the world, the cold parching winds.

This made me think of my aprons.

I have lots of aprons -- forties, fifties, sixties aprons, mostly homemade, flour sack and cute motifs; breakfast aprons, filmy cocktail aprons, the works. I love them. But I don't own many dresses or skirts that I can wear with them, because that's just not where affordable fashion goes these days -- and, I confess I've never sewn a skirt, or any item of clothing. Just quilts, bags, artworks. But I'd better learn. We had a pancake breakfast fundraiser for church yesterday, and I wore one of my aprons. I also brought a handful of them to share for the event, which were quickly snatched up.

I think I could design things easily enough -- I've never followed a pattern for bags etc, I just figure out how they should be made and then put them together. But I don't know the tricks -- darts n things -- so I need someone to show me. That's how I learn best. There's a local place that's perpetually offering classes on basic skirt making, and I should get off my scaredy-cat butt and take one.

Oh, aprons -- feminine layers. I'm not all that prone to frills or push-up bras; but I think aprons and underwear can be both history-laden and sexy, narrative and practical. I have some unsatisfying shots of the aprons, which I won't post yet. But soon. It's another theme...

No comments: