Sunday, August 2, 2009

Posting pictures separately from the text to see if that makes for better formatting. Seen below (earlier images posted first) -- Two days' work on a new piece, inspired by laundry leavings and...something more, as yet undetermined.

Dryer lint, cat hair in wads and other detritus picked from the lint trap; layered on wool batting and felt, beneath strips of tinted organza. Metallic threads, raveling strips of cloth. Then adding some hand-printed and vintage cotton, upholstery textiles, etc. I admit to approaching this with Jude Hill's work in mind, hoping to achieve some of the mystery of her "slow cloth" pieces. The nest-eggs in the lower left corner, the chrysanthemum/lotus on its long stem -- or something like a path, the corner of a maze -- I like where the piece seems to be going, though I couldn't describe the destination. Asian dryer lint? Chinese laundry? Something foggy and fragile...

I like walking in a place where I can't see the end of the road -- or more than a few feet in any direction. We were out at Wood Lake yesterday, and the boardwalk was surrounded by tall green cattails waving and undulating in a strong breeze, hypnotically repetitive. And I like a fog too, on the rare occasion that we see one hereabouts. I even appreciate a really bad head-cold, the kind where you walk around half-deaf for days -- all the world's sounds are muffled, senses dulled and calmed by congestion and cold meds.

Somehow, amusingly, interestingly, this is somewhat the same. I'm thinking of this as a place.

No comments: