Sunday, August 9, 2009

from the moon

"What we can learn from the moon is reflection," wrote Jude Hill, and because the moon is very possibly one of the inspirations or themes for my current piece (which has formed in its attributes quite influenced by Jude's own work) I am Taking Note.

The moon. My project has colors in it that are both washed out (except for the reds) and prone to sudden contrasts, and to glimmers -- like colors under bright moonlight, the yellows and greens completely absent, lots of light and dark, and occasional reds (which escape the dumbing-down powers of sunglasses too, I've noticed.)

Washed out. I'm using "laundry leavings" as materials here, dryer lint and ragged ends and soforth. Worn bits, wads of paper smooth like ocean pebbles after being left in pockets and washed and dried, etc...

and because there is a nest (a nest with three cat-hair eggs inside it, more wads from the washer), I now have two resting songbirds in the piece as well...
where are we heading, this piece and I?

The moon, and laundry, and birds. And an overall Asian motif, the results of my fabric choices.

How in the world (or above it) will this all come together?

The moon above...and birds. But laundry is a decidedly earthly process. Hmm.

No comments: