Saturday, December 27, 2014

BIG NEWS!

A few weeks ago I was awarded a Jerome Fiber Artist Project Grant through the Textile Center of Minnesota. (!!!) I am so pleased and proud to have been selected for this emerging artist opportunity. Click here for a little bit about last year's fellows and their projects (the press release for the 2015 program hasn't yet posted.) For more about the Jerome Foundation, click HERE.

With the grant money I'll receive, I am taking a number of classes (in the Certificate program) at the Minnesota Center for Books Arts. Using the skills I've learned I will combine book-binding techniques with my use of cloth to push my work off the wall -- way off -- into 3D sculptural/installation works.

It's a tight schedule -- the exhibit for all four Jerome artists opens at the end of August this year. Yikes! Gives me just enough time to take basic book classes between now and the end of March, and I'll need to start designing the work concurrently if I'm to finish two or three pieces by mid-summer. I'm keeping the concepts under wraps for now.

I'm looking forward to this year, an exciting time for me professionally. (Incidentally I haven't heard from the Rochester Art Center yet about their 3rd Floor Artist Program, and not sure what that means, other than that their timeline for notifications was a little hazy. I shouldn't be greedy.)

Check back here for regular updates, as I've made the mental commitment to keeping a more regular blogging schedule throughout this year, for the purpose of reflection and recording. Happy New Year!

No comments: