Monday, August 15, 2011

a dream

I dreamed last night that my parents lived in a large old apartment, one with wood floors and many rooms. With all their many antiques they lived, and my sister was there -- still in her teens -- and I was still single, young, though my artwork was in its present stage. I dreamed they had a huge room vacant, one that would easily accommodate all my projects -- large areas for laying out quilts, tables and chairs, lots of light and floor-space. I proposed to the folks that I might rent this room, for $200 a month, to use as a studio. They seemed skeptical...

I see studios for rent here and there, but it's always more money than I want to spend, and so far from the house that I know I'll never make it there -- because work time is squeezed in between my job and my homelife, as it will be until my son is several years older. I've thought about it a long time. My husband would not approve of the expenditure. And yet, now that I'm dreaming about it... I know it's something I truly desire. To have unlimited, un-remarked-upon studio space, where I can make a mess and dream and no one cares what I do. My husband hates my sewing room now, always a mess. I wish he wouldn't be so vocal about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps its time you get your own place. Kitten.

Brady said...

Funny...$200 a month was your rent when you lived with me. :-)

I've been thinking about parts of my house I could turn into studio space...for my glasswork.

Stephanie Forsyth said...

Hey lady, if you want an escape once in awhile, you're more than welcome in my studio. :)