Thursday, December 30, 2010

looking and looking, and cutting out triangles

Making squares into triangles... the darks are cut and stacked. I'm half-way through the mediums. Lights still un-ironed in their pile. I'm loving some of the batiks, the infinite variety and the mysterious voluptuousness of the colors... the abstract patterns in some of them, reminiscent of geological maps or kimono... most of the darks are leafy batiks, plus a few birds. The mediums strongly favor green, which is good since the recipient of this quilted throw has a STRONG preference for greens. Fewer batiks, more prints, in a certain shade of grasshopper-green; and in fact there is grass, as well as flowers, pebbles and a vaguely Polynesian pattern... the lights are mostly batiks again, plus some birds and dragonflies.

I remember when I was a child...my mother sewed, mainly clothing and functional items when I was younger. The patterns of the fabrics she chose often captured my imagination, and I couldn't help visualizing worlds within the colors... magical gardens, dangerous mazes, a curtain of live flowers that might conceal a secret passageway to a beautiful, enchanted place where girls had special powers and mythical friends to help them along the way -- a world like the ones I read about in books, an imaginary world, full of beauty and safety. I could pack a LOT of imagining into a piece of cloth! And still can... I buy too much lovely fabric, as much for the pleasure of seeking, and viewing, as for utility. But it feels good to move away from scraps and collage for a while (my normal art-quilting mode) and use these quarters and half yards for their intended purpose -- to cover someone in color and warmth.

No comments: