Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Who says I never finish anything!

"Walking At Night (I smell lilacs)"
18X24 inches, 2010
CLICK IMAGE for a closer view.
Appearing at the Tamarack Nature Center: SAQA "Art Quilts at the Tamarack" exhibit, Oct. 22-Nov. 30, 2010. 


(detail)
Found fabric and objects; commercially produced fabrics, laser prints, yarn, dryer lint, paper, beads.




Moonlight on the brightest nights allows some colors to come forward while most recede; pinks, blues, pale yellows, others. Birds, sleeping or silently watchful, rest in the trees. I walk a great deal and used to enjoy going out by night, feeling invisible, listening to sounds that the day conceals and imagining the lives behind glowing windows on quiet streets. I don’t feel safe anymore (as a woman alone) taking walks at night; but I have a friend who still enjoys that freedom, who sometimes reports back to me the sounds and scents of a midnight walk in the city. I sometimes dream about flying at night, safe above the trees, transformed and weightless.

No comments: