Sunday, April 25, 2010



Ah...nothing like a couple of tough weeks on the job to throw off the creative rhythm. Someday I will MASTER resilience and learn to use my art as a shelter from the world, instead of relegating it to a dusty corner, when I'm struggling. Other adjustments have been made that'll help me get back on track; but what I might need most in this regard could just be... discipline.

I've had the bird's nest pinned to my current piece for a while. While at the Textile Center sale last week, I found and cadged several tiny feathered birds, the sort you might find on a Christmas tree ornament or an elderly lady's hat. I also found tiny nests -- and tiny eggs to lay in them. I haven't tried them out against the quilt yet -- I'm a little wary of including such ready-mades, though of course it's done all the time. I think ready-mades have to be carefully integrated into the work or they just distract, hanging there like... well, like something on a lady's hat.

No comments: