Tuesday, March 30, 2010

birds at night


So, working a bit more on the youngest of the UFOs, the "birds" -- which has in its longish progression stopped having so much to do with nests. It is rather about this simple thought:

At night, there are birds in the trees.
You can't see them. You can't hear them (ordinarily.) But think,
all the birds you see everywhere, every day --
they're all hidden in the branches at night.

So the piece is a kind of landscape, several landscapes, as much"fabric collage" as "quilt" in execution I suppose. I'd upload a shot of where it's at right now, but I'm too lazy. It's been beautiful weather today, breezy and warm. The sewing room window is still open, and I can hear the wind in the pine trees, the bells chiming on the clothesline. It's lovely. I have a terrible cold, which does put a damper on things. Still. Spring.

And out there among the whispering boughs, tiny silhouettes and quiet wings.

No comments: