Thursday, September 3, 2009

The moon is still round and clean tonight, and the colors concealed or revealed by moonlight make an unpredictable landscape of shadows and strange flares -- the bright pink of the geraniums is still as plain as if seen by daylight, but the faded red of the patio brick is now a mute gray. The air is cold -- September again, the smell of wood fires somewhere up the hill reminding me of late-summer camping trips. I feel the urge to change this blog's background to black, a reflection of me in the dark sewing room, typing by the full-moon light of the laptop screen. My late-night internet companion has retired early for the evening, so I'm left to my own devices here. Today was the first day of kindergarten. I feel I've crossed that line beside my child, and we stand together now on the hastening treadmill of all that comes with growing up, growing older. He's not a baby anymore. There's nothing I can create in the studio that matches the unfolding grace of my child as he changes.

No comments: